Many people who don’t own a commercial popcorn machine or microwave ask if you cook microwave popcorn on the stove. The good news is that you can! Popcorn doesn’t know whether it’s in the bag or stove.
It will come out as delicious from a stove if you follow the right recipe.
In this article, I have shared the recipe that you need for making popcorn on the stove. I have also included some tips so you can have the perfect popcorn every time.
Things you will need:
- A large saucepan or pot with a heavy lid.
- Vegetable or olive oil
- Salted butter (optional)
- Chili pepper oil (optional)
- Salt (optional)
Here is the step by step method of cooking popcorn at the stove.
1. Get a large pot for the popcorn. The pot should be at least big enough that you could cook pasta in it. Most people make the mistake of using a smaller pot because there aren’t a lot of popcorn in the bag. However, the kernels need space to pop.
Also, make sure that your pot has handles so that you can shake it easily.
2. Brush the bottom of the pot even with oil. You can use any kind of oil from vegetable oil to corn oil and wok oil.
3. Open the microwave bag of popcorn. Pour all the kernels in the pot. Make sure that you don’t add too many kernels. It should cover the bottom of the pot in one layer. You can save the rest of the popcorn for later.
The kernels will be greasy and buttery, so you might want to use a spoon. Also, you can put some of the buttery parts in the pot.
4. Cover the pot with a lid. Most people get worried when they don’t hear the ‘pop’ immediately. However, don’t worry. It will take a minute or two before the kernels start to pop.
5. Once the popping sound gets regular, shake the pot back and forth. This will keep the popcorn from sticking to the bottom surface of the burner. Otherwise, all the popcorn will stick to the bottom and burn. You should shake the pot every 30 seconds.
6. Once the popping sounds finish, you can take the pot off the stove to check the popcorn. It depends on the brand of your popcorn as to how long it will take to pop. So, I will not state a specific time frame. You can probably smell the delicious aroma wafting around your kitchen.
Tips to Cook Microwave Popcorn on Stove
Another thing that I’d like to add is the temperature. Instead of going into numbers, let’s talk in terms of low, medium and high. When you are cooking microwave popcorn on the stove, you can use any of the temperatures.
In the end, you can season the popcorn with extra flavorings like salt, paprika, pepper, etc. You can also add a dash of unsalted melted butter to give the popcorn another layer of taste.
If you cook microwave popcorn on the stove, you will be able to add an extra swing of flavor. You can add some flavorings to the oil instead of sprinkling it on the top. If you use different pots, you can have different types of flavors ready at home.