One of the most common ways to light charcoal is by using lighter fluid. However, it can give off harmful fumes. Additionally, lighter fluid can cause the charcoals to burn unevenly, which can make it difficult to cook food evenly. Furthermore, in some situations, you don’t have lighter fluid. So, how do you light charcoal without lighter fluid?
1. Use A Chimney Starter
If you don’t have any lighter fluid on hand, you can use a chimney starter to light your charcoal. A chimney starter is a metal cylinder with a grate at the bottom and a handle on the side.
Just fill the chimney with coals, put it on the grill, and light it. The coals will be ready in about 15 minutes.
If you’re using a gas grill, you can still use a chimney starter. Just put the chimney on the burner and turn on the gas. The coals will be ready in about 15 minutes.
Here’s a chimney starter step-by-step guide:
1. Place the chimney starter on your grill, making sure that the bottom is over the area where you’ll be placing your coals.
2. Fill the chimney starter with charcoal. Usually, it is enough to fill it by two-thirds.
3. Place a piece of newspaper or a firestarter in the bottom of the chimney starter, and light it.
4. Allow the fire to burn for about 15 minutes or until the charcoal is all lit.
5. Use a pair of tongs to transfer the charcoal from the chimney starter to your grill, and you’re ready to start cooking!
2. Use Self-Starting Charcoal Briquette
You can use self-starting charcoal briquettes. These are special charcoal briquettes that have been treated with an igniting agent. If you’re using a self-starting charcoal briquette, there’s no need to use lighter fluid. Just light the charcoal according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
You can place several briquettes on the very bottom and light them; eventually, they will light other charcoal as well.
3. Use An Electric Charcoal Starter
Electric charcoal started is a great tool for lighting charcoal. Simply place the coals in your grill or smoker and then plug in the starter. The heat from the electric starter will eventually light the charcoal.
If you’ve never used an electric charcoal starter before, don’t worry. They’re actually quite simple to use. Here’s a step-by-step guide to using one so that you can get your charcoal lit and ready for grilling in no time.
1. Start by assembling your supplies. You’ll need an electric charcoal starter, some charcoal, and a heat-resistant glove or tongs.
2. Place the charcoal in your grill or smoker.
3. Put on the heat-resistant glove or grab the tongs.
4. Insert the electric starter into the center of the pile of charcoal.
5. Turn on the power to the starter.
6. Hold the starter in place until you see smoke coming from the charcoal. This usually takes about 5 minutes.
7. Once you see smoke, remove the starter and place it safely away from the grill or smoker.
8. Allow the charcoal to continue burning until it’s covered in gray ash. This means it’s ready to use.
9. Begin grilling your food!
4. Use A Newspaper or Crumpled-up Paper Towels
If you don’t have any lighter fluid or self-starting charcoal, you can still light your charcoal without any fancy tools. All you need is some newspaper or crumpled-up paper towels and a match.
1. Start by placing the charcoal in your grill or smoker.
2. Make a small pile of crumpled-up paper towels or newspaper in the center of the charcoal.
3. Light the paper towels or newspaper with a match.
4. Allow the fire to spread to the other coals.
5. Once the charcoal is covered in gray ash, it’s ready to use.
5. Use Wooden Skewers and Cooking Oil
Soak wooden skewers in cooking oil and light them on fire. Then use the skewers to light the charcoal. It’s best to do this outdoors because it can get smoky.
1. Start by soaking the wooden skewers in cooking oil for at least 30 minutes.
2. Light the skewers on fire and allow them to burn for a few minutes.
3. Use the skewers to light the charcoal in your grill or smoker.
4. Allow the charcoal to burn for a few minutes before adding your food.
5. Enjoy your grilled or smoked food!
6. Use Paraffin Wax Fire Starter
If you’re looking for an easy, safe and effective way to light your charcoal, then look no further than paraffin wax fire starters! Made from 100% pure paraffin wax, these fire starters are specifically designed to help you get your charcoal lit quickly and easily, without the use of any harmful chemicals or lighter fluid. Simply place one or two paraffin wax fire starters on top of your charcoal, light them with a match or lighter, and within minutes your charcoal will be ready to cook on!
7. Use Pine Cones
If you have any pine trees nearby, try to use pine cones. Just add a few pine cones to your grill or fire pit, and watch as they ignite your charcoal in no time. Plus, they’ll give your food a delicious smoky flavor that you’ll love. So next time you’re firing up the grill, be sure to give this method a try. You won’t be disappointed!
8. Use a stovetop burner
This is how most people light charcoal and is the easiest method. You will need a stove, some newspaper, and a fireproof container to hold the burning coals.
1) Place the fireproof container on the stovetop burner.
2) Crumple up a few pieces of paper and place them in the bottom of the container.
3) Place the charcoal on top of the paper.
4) Turn on the stovetop burner to high and wait a few minutes until the charcoal is lit.
5) Once the charcoal is lit, carefully remove the container from the stove and place it in the grill. Let the coals burn for a few minutes before placing your food on the grill.
Lighting charcoal doesn’t have to be difficult. With the right tools and some patience, you can get your grill or smoker going in no time. Just remember to be careful with any open flames and hot coals. And always make sure to have a fire extinguisher on hand just in case.
Now that you know how to light the charcoal, it’s time to get grilling!
Image Source: 4thegrill.com